Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Kissing Couple at the Calico Saloon

An elegant detail in Ghost Town was recently restored! When the sun goes down, take a look at the little window on the side of the Calico Saloon. You can see it from Stage Road.




Inside of the window is an animated silhouette of a couple kissing illuminated by flickering candlelight!




Here is a short video that I shot of the kissing couple:




Many thanks to Christopher Merritt, author of “Knott’s Preserved” for the next two photos!

This photo was taken from Market Street in Ghost Town in the early 1950s. If you look down the street you will see Stage Road running perpendicular and the very same window on the side of the Calico Saloon:




This is a close-up of the same photo, and you can see the kissing couple in the window! This couple has been around since at least the 1950s!




Enjoy as always!

5 comments:

Chris Merritt said...

I've always wondered about these - didn't realize they were animated! Very cool.

TokyoMagic! said...

I would also like some more information about these figures. I believe that they were there back in the eighties. Now I'm wondering just how far back they go.

TokyoMagic! said...

Great update to your post.....and thanks to C.M. for the vintage shot of this couple. I'm so glad that they have been restored!

Knott'sAfterDark said...

I could do a post just about the cool things that have made a recent comeback! It would include the Sky Cabin, the water pump, Marilyn and Cecelia, and the other girls on the Ghost Town bench (one is holding a box of chocolates). Do those girls have names?

TokyoMagic! said...

Edna and Ruby. I made that up....I don't know if they have names! Did they disappear for a while?